18 August 2010

Psalm 23 - The Poet vs The Shepherd

In a church meeting one evening, the pastor had those who were visiting stand up and introduce themselves. The first to rise and give his name mentioned that he was an actor.

Thinking quickly, the pastor asked, “Do you know Psalm 23?”
“Why, yes,” the actor replied with a smile.
“Would you mind treating our congregation to a recitation of it?”
“I would love to!” came his enthusiastic answer.

Rising in his place the artist turned, acknowledged his audience, cleared his throat, paused, and then launched into a flawless and eloquent oration of the familiar psalm. When he finished, the people in the church burst into hearty applause. "It was perfect! And such expression!"

Before the pastor moved on to the next visitor, he thanked the actor and remarked, “It’s obvious you know Psalm 23 well!

The next gentleman to introduce himself as a visitor was an elderly senior, bent with age, who commented that he was a retired preacher.

“Oh! Then I’m sure you know Psalm 23, too!” exclaimed the pastor. “Why don’t you share your rendition with our people.”

With great difficulty the old man of God rose from his seat, turned, and with a raspy, aged, shaking voice, began. Slowly he articulated his way through the beloved psalm. More than once he had to stop and struggle with his tears. When he finally finished and sank into his seat, there was only the sound of choked sniffles as everyone sat, too stunned to move or respond.

Dabbing his eyes and finding his voice, the pastor of the church quietly spoke, “And you, sir, it’s obvious that you know the Shepherd well.”


A Final Prayer for You

My prayer for you is that, you may not merely appreciate the poetry and the imagery and the sentiments expressed in Psalm 23, but may you believe and abundantly experience God’s rich promises to you for each and every circumstance and season of life. As this poem reminds us,

God is before me, He will be my guide;
God is behind me, no ill can betide;
God is beside me, to comfort and cheer;
God is around me, so why should I fear?

May you know full well and acknowledge with full confidence that “the Lord is my Shepherd.”


Psalm 23 NIV

1 The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, [Or through the darkest valley]
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


Psalm 23 NLT

1 The LORD is my shepherd;
I have everything I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3 He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk
through the dark valley of death,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You welcome me as a guest,
anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the LORD
forever.


Contributor - Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...